Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sermon on the Mount

Ok....Ok.....maybe not quite the Sermon on the Mount, but I did my very best!!!  What a fun experience to have the privilege of giving a message to a congregation in a Lahu village in Thailand.  

So here is the story....I learned on Friday that there was a possibility that I would be giving "the message" on Sunday morning in a Lahu village near the border of Thailand and Burma!?!?!  After I woke up from apparently passing out, I began thinking,"God, what could Bret Hardin possibly offer to a congregation of Burmese people living in Thailand."  Well...apparently quite a lot!!!  

After the incredible story of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords coming to the earth He created, allowing Himself to be mocked, spit on, beaten, and separated from His Heavenly Father.....I love talking about Saint Stephen in Acts chapter 7.  This may be a familiar passage to some of you, but maybe not everyone.  In this particular passage, Stephen is about to be stoned for his faith in Jesus Christ.  About that time Stephan looks up to see our Saviour Jesus Christ STANDING at the right hand of His Father.  This is the only time in scripture where Jesus is said to be standing instead of sitting at the Father's right hand.  I have an incredible picture in my mind of Jesus gathering the heavenly hosts and looking down in approval at Stephen.  In my vision, I can hear Jesus say out loud, "Look....can you believe he is going to lose his life on My behalf."  I can only imagine what Stephen is experiencing now!!!!

Now.....for those of you that know me, you know that I am not a huge fan of public speaking!!!  To those of you that share the same problem, I highly recommend flying around the world to people who have no earthly idea what you are saying and getting a translator to help out!!  I loved speaking in front of people while being translated!  

When we arrived at the Lahu village which was about a 2 hour drive, we were greeted by the pastor whom we were allowed to call Boon.  I say allowed because Boon is what his friends called him.....his real name was Sam Boon.  We were whisked away to the church.  It was time to get started.  The church itself was great!!  It was quite small and when we started to approach the building, a man began hitting a gong, apparently the signal that some white folks had arrived and it was time for church to begin.  

We sang a few songs in English that the Miyakawa's had arranged.  We then sang hymns in Burmese.  I was sitting next to Boon and loved hearing him worshipping the King in a language unfamiliar to me!!  After the singing, Tom Miyakawa introduced his family and I introduced myself and Lindsay.  Tom then got up and gave a message in Philippians on joy and suffering.  It was great, and it led right into what I was going to talk about.  When Tom was finished, it was my turn!!  When I approached the podium, I greeted everyone with Saw Wat Dee Kop.  That drew a laugh from the crowd because I was attempting to say hello in Thai to a bunch of people from Burma!!

After that, everything went according to plan!  Boon was translating while I went through my notes that Lindsay and I had put together the last few days.  

If you would have told me 7 years ago that one day I would be married to the most beautiful, incredible girl on earth....giving a message in Thailand (where we would live for a year), and give a message about Jesus Christ and the incredible grace and forgiveness that can be experienced only through Him, I would have laughed and went on my way!!  It is absolutely absurd that God would allow a sinner such as myself to represent Him in such neat ways!!!

To God be the glory!!


No comments:

Post a Comment