Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thankful

Most of you are like us in that we're celebrating Thanksgiving this week.  I do realize everyone is not in that same position; in fact,  I just learned recently that Canada celebrates this holiday typically in October - closer to a time of harvest rather than a time of remembering a certain event in history.  Regardless of whether you'll be enjoying a turkey dinner this week or not, this time of year always causes me to think about the practice of being thankful.  And I do have to understand that this is a practice - hopefully a natural one, but a practice nonetheless.  

Psalm 92:1 reminds us that "it is good to give thanks to the Lord."  That is certainly something I know, but how I live it out should be quite telling of my relationship with that Lord, Jesus Christ.  The ultimate thing to be thankful for (and there are many) is what Christ has done for me - rescued me from a life apart from Him and graciously brought me into an eternal, saving relationship with Him. The Book of Romans explains this gift so well: 


Do you not know that when you present yourselves as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey - either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?  But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart...and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness...for the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.  
- Romans 6:16-17, 23

Practicing thankfulness should alter my life drastically. 

I can't be complacent, because I should live in a way that shows my gratitude.  
I can't be arrogant, because I have to realize that everything I have and everything I am has been given to me by God the Father.  
I can't be discontent, because I see how much there is to be thankful for. 
I can't be anxious, because I know God is gracious and takes care of me. 
I can't be selfish, because God has given me so much. 

My practice of being thankful must penetrate every aspect of my life.  I need to think about that every day.  I hope you enjoy a day and week of thankfulness, whether you are officially celebrating a holiday called "Thanksgiving" or not. 


No comments:

Post a Comment