Friday, February 24, 2012

Handicap Lessons

What a day - it's been too long since I've recorded our doings on The Blog.  I'm sorry to those who keep up, but I'm also sorry for us -- I've been printing these postings off to use as our journal of the year, and I'm a bit behind :) There has been a lot that has filled the past weeks, but today's sweet experiences are some of the best.

At Grace this week, the school where Bret and I are working, there was a special emphasis placed on spiritual growth.  There is always a desire to instill in the students a deeper understanding of and love for the Lord, but this past week was special.  There were chapel services held each day with guest speakers and powerful worship music focused on understanding the grace we have been given by God through Jesus Christ and the importance of passing that grace on to others.  The week culminated today - a "Ministry Day" to put into practice our love for the Lord and others.  Sometimes it's hard, even though we're surrounded by Christian missionaries, to feel like we're doing the work of a missionary.  We are simply here working in a school for kids just like the kids that fill the schools in the States.  The parents of these kids are doing incredible work, and it was fun today to more active in outside ministry.

Bret and I, along with 3 other adults and 19 freshman, spent the day at a school designed for students with various handicaps - mental and/or physical.  The school was beautiful:  well-run, clean, bright and cheerful, and the students were clearly loved.  From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were surrounded by smiling, joyful, sweet-as-anything kids.  So many times I've told people that my sister Brooke, who is also mentally and physically handicapped, is the most joyful person I know.  She is always smiling, always ready to talk, extremely worshipful and constantly forgiving.  These kids were the same way - some of the most joyful kids I've seen.  I have so much to learn!  What a blessing it was to be with these kids.

(Thanks Kristen Miyakawa for posting these pictures on Facebook, so I could steal them for my library!)








No comments:

Post a Comment